Strength of scent - What does it indicate?

Hey Guys, I tried to google this question but am still not clear. What does the strength of the scent of your cannabis indicate?

I have received 2 shipments from 2 different Moms. One of the shipments, the material seem to have a much stronger scent. They were not the exact same strains which could account for the different levels of smelliness. However, I did receive death bubba in both shipments and again, one was smellier but a bit more like vegetation but the other one smelled less but also smelled like like vegetation.

Is it too dry? too wet?
Not cured properly? if yes, would leaving it in a mason jar with a boveda pack continue the curing process?

Sorry for the noob questions.

Re: Strength of scent - What does it indicate?

That's a complex question. Drying and curing weed is a complex process, one that most growers try to skimp on and it's one of the most important things. Generally speaking, properly cured weed will smell strong and fresh. If it's very faint smelling, chances are it was overdried and there's no coming back from that.

Some strains obviously are stinkier than others. Fruity strains for example are usually much tamer in smell and taste than gassy strains. Also, the same strain is rarely ever "the same" because if you take 100 seeds form a mother and grow them, you could end up with 100 different variations, some slight, some extremely different (those are called phenotypes). Professional growers will do "pheno hunting" by growing dozens of plants of the same strain to try and isolate unique tastes/potency/characteristics and then clone those plants instead of using seeds from then on. By cloning, you can keep the same pheno going for years, even decades which eliminates one big variable in weed quality.

There are soooo many factors during a grow and dry/cure process that can affect how weed looks, smells or tastes, it's often hard to tell much by just looking at a bud...

Stinkiness seems to be indication of how well it was stored and freshness, to me. If it's not stinky you can't come back from that, but it doesn't mean it won't get you high. I prefer my weed on the stinky side because I looove smelling cannabis but some strains just aren't that stinky and still get you high. Try them both and compare other factors, the texture of the weed, how dry it is, how does it burn, how does it taste? If it's faint and dry, that's not a great sign. If it's not stinky but you end up stuck to the couch and seeing the universe in the spackle, then y'know, it's just the strain.

I have two strains that smell like vegetation to me but wow do they ever knock my socks off.

I've compared strains between different growers and MOMs before and there's a lot of variation in just a single strain, much like xninx describes. It's a complex subject.

R.R.Toking wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:32 pm From my experience, as the bud ripens it starts to get stinky, the longer it ripens the more it stinks. The drying and curing process is where that stink is retained or lost. Many growers speed dry and you lose a lot of quality that way. Slow dried weed tastes excellent, burns slow and smooth and just feels better.
Have you ever grown weed? Fresh cut weed smells very strong. Of course it looses water during the drying and curing, so if done properly, it can increase the smell. Most of the time it's just overdried and speed cured (curing is kinda pointless and fast when it's dry as fuck), so you end up with weed that's faint and boring.

If the curing process is not properly done (not enough burping) the weed can start rotting or smelling very musty, this is bad. Such weed that's then tried too fast will smell like hay.

Usually with moms if you get a shipment with no smell or flavour it’s just old or improperly cured/stored weed. And yes it definetly can affect how potent the weed is. My top 10 of 2018 all had a very strong aroma.. so it does matter if you really are picky about what you smoke. I get turned off if I can’t smell my weed when I grind it up, I don’t know why but I just find it disappointing.

However, the smell is just one of many variables that can affect the quality of cannabis you recieve. The most important being visual and feel, atleast imo.

xsinx wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:05 pm
R.R.Toking wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:32 pm From my experience, as the bud ripens it starts to get stinky, the longer it ripens the more it stinks. The drying and curing process is where that stink is retained or lost. Many growers speed dry and you lose a lot of quality that way. Slow dried weed tastes excellent, burns slow and smooth and just feels better.
Have you ever grown weed? Fresh cut weed smells very strong. Of course it looses water during the drying and curing, so if done properly, it can increase the smell. Most of the time it's just overdried and speed cured (curing is kinda pointless and fast when it's dry as fuck), so you end up with weed that's faint and boring.

If the curing process is not properly done (not enough burping) the weed can start rotting or smelling very musty, this is bad. Such weed that's then tried too fast will smell like hay.
Yes I have grown and I have been around grow rooms since I could walk.

Vdubb wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:48 am
bill1clinton wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:50 pm @R.R. Toking: Any particular MoM you could recommend?
If you want the best, www.coastalwildfire.com try the Violator Kush and wedding cake. It took me a long time to find these guys..they only sell craft product.

If you want cheaper options, try Kingtuts, speedgreens, skyhighexotics or hillside Pharms... these are the ones that stand out above the rest.
Damn 250 plus shipping for an O that shit better give me orgasms when I smoke it. At the rate I smoke I could never convince myself to spend that much on a O, it would cost me an arm and a leg to keep up with my habit. I could get 3 nice O’s from CW for under 300 shipped. But I guess not everyone goes through an O a week.

NorthernFarmer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:24 am
bill1clinton wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:50 pm @R.R. Toking: Any particular MoM you could recommend?
If you want the best, www.coastalwildfire.com try the Violator Kush and wedding cake. It took me a long time to find these guys..they only sell craft product.

If you want cheaper options, try Kingtuts, speedgreens, skyhighexotics or hillside Pharms... these are the ones that stand out above the rest.
Damn 250 plus shipping for an O that shit better give me orgasms when I smoke it. At the rate I smoke I could never convince myself to spend that much on a O, it would cost me an arm and a leg to keep up with my habit. I could get 3 nice O’s from CW for under 300 shipped. But I guess not everyone goes through an O a week.
I’m tired of smoking cheap weed that I could smoke joint after joint. I remember when an oz was $400 so $250-$300 for something I really enjoy is worth it to me. There are other craft growers that are more affordable though.

The Violator Kush would probably be one of the best batches from a MOM you’ve ever recieved. Look up the reviews on reddit.

Vdubb wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:35 am

The Violator Kush would probably be one of the best batches from a MOM you’ve ever recieved. Look up the reviews on reddit.
I bet it is but at 250 for an O it would cost me 1000 every month which is absurd.

Unfortunately I work way, way too much to have the time to really invest in growing... maybe one day.
I know it’s expensive to purchase craft, but I got fed up with the major consistency issues with MOMs. Atleast 30-40%of what I’ve ordered since the summer has arrived dry, had no terp, weak potency, etc. Feels like I’m rolling the dice sometimes. Atleast with CWF, I know it’s fire.. and if it’s not, their customer service is great and they’ll make it right.

Vdubb wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:45 am Unfortunately I work way, way too much to have the time to really invest in growing... maybe one day.
I know it’s expensive to purchase craft, but I got fed up with the major consistency issues with MOMs. Atleast 30-40%of what I’ve ordered since the summer has arrived dry, had no terp, weak potency, etc. Feels like I’m rolling the dice sometimes. Atleast with CWF, I know it’s fire.. and if it’s not, their customer service is great and they’ll make it right.
I hear ya 👍 Hell if I had deep enough pockets I would be only smoking craft cannabis too but you know priorities...bills need to be payed.

NorthernFarmer wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:37 am I’ve been smoking M39 for over 15 years so the variety CW has to offer is great to me. Honestly if I was in your shoes I would just grown my own if craft cannabis is what you guys are after, would save you a shit ton of money in the long run.
I quit growing years ago when I had kids, too many cops here with nothing to do madw me too nervous. I plan on setting up by next year again.