Re: Website Administrator/Moderator - CMOM

itsjustasalad wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:55 am
Raptorfan93 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:07 pm I want to be one. Is there an application or specific requirements?
Honestly, it's not all the glory it's made out to be.

My experience? Was a mod at a popular ps3 modding website for years. Granted, there was significantly more people and conversations but it's all the same.

Don't let my own opinions sway your thoughts though. Having goals is always good!
Yeah I was a mod on a popular gta car forum years ago. It was cool at first to have secret forums and be able to police the forums.. but the novelty wears out quick once you realize it’s like work.. except you don’t get paid. Lol

Vdubb wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:59 am Yeah I was a mod on a popular gta car forum years ago. It was cool at first to have secret forums and be able to police the forums.. but the novelty wears out quick once you realize it’s like work.. except you don’t get paid. Lol
Recently I checked my account, because I kind of just up and left... still a mod Feb 2019... I was last active early 2016....

Modding was interesting. You notice the regular members of the community a lot more, you see more of the shit going on in the background private forums (what a shitshow that was), all of the inside drama that has to do with admin teams and site upkeep, people attacking you just because you're a mod.

I can say for 100% certainty that I have never once banned a single person in the 4-5 years I modded. Not a hostile person, very forgiving, very hard to upset me. The responsibility of handling all of the toxicity was very overwhelming though. That's what ultimately did me in. As well as rival site politics (ie, sites attacking each other, trying to steal users and/or data, copy/paste articles, etc).

Very hard to put up with that shit without compensation. This place seems a bit more lax though. Bunch of stoners running around talking about weed and MOM; not a bunch of tweens, teens and aspy's throwing their dicks around at each other. (Sorry aspy's, but I probably fall into that sort of boat too).

Ok what the frank... this is the second time in 20 minutes where I've been logged out when writing a post...? I can understand after maybe a few hours of inactivity but, i'm actively writing a book here, sheesh. "keep me logged in" is always ticked off too :/

itsjustasalad wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:13 pm
Vdubb wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:59 am Yeah I was a mod on a popular gta car forum years ago. It was cool at first to have secret forums and be able to police the forums.. but the novelty wears out quick once you realize it’s like work.. except you don’t get paid. Lol
Recently I checked my account, because I kind of just up and left... still a mod Feb 2019... I was last active early 2016....

Modding was interesting. You notice the regular members of the community a lot more, you see more of the shit going on in the background private forums (what a shitshow that was), all of the inside drama that has to do with admin teams and site upkeep, people attacking you just because you're a mod.

I can say for 100% certainty that I have never once banned a single person in the 4-5 years I modded. Not a hostile person, very forgiving, very hard to upset me. The responsibility of handling all of the toxicity was very overwhelming though. That's what ultimately did me in. As well as rival site politics (ie, sites attacking each other, trying to steal users and/or data, copy/paste articles, etc).

Very hard to put up with that shit without compensation. This place seems a bit more lax though. Bunch of stoners running around talking about weed and MOM; not a bunch of tweens, teens and aspy's throwing their dicks around at each other. (Sorry aspy's, but I probably fall into that sort of boat too).

Ok what the frank... this is the second time in 20 minutes where I've been logged out when writing a post...? I can understand after maybe a few hours of inactivity but, i'm actively writing a book here, sheesh. "keep me logged in" is always ticked off too :/
Mods and admins do get compensated here though, that's why the OP wants in. There's literally a banner ad at the top of the page from one of the only thing/mom that they tried to take a moral stand on, look how that turned out.

cmom wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:11 pmMods and admins do get compensated here though, that's why the OP wants in. There's literally a banner ad at the top of the page from one of the only thing/mom that they tried to take a moral stand on, look how that turned out.
I'd just like to point out that having been a mod until recently, none of the mods ever accepted any compensation/pay from MOMs or admins. I have been offered a coupon by an admin when they added the ads (for "my work on the forum"), but I refused it and stepped down from my mod position because it clashed with my moral principles and what I'm trying to do for this community. I don't want to be under any MOM's thumb and my allegiance has always been to members. I've even had a 150$ coupon from Cheapweed a while back that I refused, but asked CW if I could draw it on here which he accepted. One of the members won and used that coupon.

We did get a lot of free sample offers from newer MOMs, I have refused most of them. I did accept a few but with a clear understanding I would not be reviewing them and that they would get absolutely nothing from it in return. The few cases where I've done that, I was genuinely interested in some of their products and had intention of buying if the products were up to par. I haven't yet, but there's a few things I really liked and will order eventually.

Also, for what it's worth, no MOM ever tried bribe me, the samples I've been offered were generally also available for regular members. It's pretty common practice for newer MOMs to send the product out there so it gets talked about a bit.

DM me or hit me up on Discord if you have further questions. I don't think the admins will leave that topic going for long.

cmom wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:11 pm

Mods and admins do get compensated here though, that's why the OP wants in. There's literally a banner ad at the top of the page from one of the only thing/mom that they tried to take a moral stand on, look how that turned out.
I wasn’t going to dignify your bs with a response. Maybe you think I joined for a compensation is probably because your cheap ass thinks that way. Have a good one.

Yeah... I've been a mod a couple of times on forums (a popular fandom during its craze) and an admin (for my own forum once, and for a creative collective another time). Definitely "work without pay" and drama laiden. There were several hidden forums–an admin one, a mod one, a boys one, a girls one–on the one I moderated, and this caused enormous drama because all of the admins were guys who were definitely perving on the girls only club however, when I was suggested as a future admin, I was removed from consideration for saying in the girls only club that I would totally perve on the guys only club. Later on, a male member of the forum gave me a password to an admin account that he guessed and I went and read all of the admin forum and the guys only forum. Plot twist: they didn't want me in because they were talking about me and speculated I was a lesbian. They were clooooooosse.

I remain an admin on the creative collective (though I haven't been there in like... a year... if they were to be like HEY HEY HELP PLZ I would go and put in the volunteer hours for 'em, I kinda pick up slack for the people who've been footing the work when something comes up, email the rejection letters, etc). I can't imagine accepting a position to volunteer moderate anywhere other than that one site where I am still an admin, because I consider those people to be good friends who deserve the help if they need it.

...but I'd have taken the coupon code. (tries guessing the coupon code) ...I think I figured out the coupon code!

Keyll wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:30 pm

Yeah... I've been a mod a couple of times on forums (a popular fandom during its craze) and an admin (for my own forum once, and for a creative collective another time). Definitely "work without pay" and drama laiden. There were several hidden forums–an admin one, a mod one, a boys one, a girls one–on the one I moderated, and this caused enormous drama because all of the admins were guys who were definitely perving on the girls only club however, when I was suggested as a future admin, I was removed from consideration for saying in the girls only club that I would totally perve on the guys only club. Later on, a male member of the forum gave me a password to an admin account that he guessed and I went and read all of the admin forum and the guys only forum. Plot twist: they didn't want me in because they were talking about me and speculated I was a lesbian. They were clooooooosse.

I remain an admin on the creative collective (though I haven't been there in like... a year... if they were to be like HEY HEY HELP PLZ I would go and put in the volunteer hours for 'em, I kinda pick up slack for the people who've been footing the work when something comes up, email the rejection letters, etc). I can't imagine accepting a position to volunteer moderate anywhere other than that one site where I am still an admin, because I consider those people to be good friends who deserve the help if they need it.

...but I'd have taken the coupon code. (tries guessing the coupon code) ...I think I figured out the coupon code!
Haha, thanks for sharing your experience.

Keyll wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:30 pm /snip
Sounds like a pretty ugly situation; and no offense but a lot of silly young people who haven't quite matured yet. Had a lot of my own experiences with those things, but as a male. It makes me cringe to the point where I grind my teeth when I see and hear of some of the things our peers do to each other. This whole thing must have been years ago; I can't see any men having any issue with a woman being a lesbian in these days. Even 20 years ago, most boys/men I knew loved the idea of two women getting together. As Jim Morrison once said a few (hundred?) thousand times "people are strange".

On a lot of forums, people just want the power. They get the power and then start to trip. They forget about the other 99% of the mod duties needed to be done and seem to focus on non-point issues. At least, that's how the forum I was at was.

People would submit apps, we'd look at post history and general knowledge. A lot of people were completely toxic and it was so telling, even in the application. A lot of people who were chosen for the mod team ended up just using the position for power, closed threads and started arguments when things didn't go their way. Threads, posts, discussions etc that needed to be cleaned of racism, bigotry, sexism, illegal content, spam, etc would overflow and other mods would just add to the mess instead of clean it up.

Inter-site drama was pretty much the reason why I left. Being an introvert, I like to use the internet to escape that crap. It just seems to follow me physically and virtually.

Back on the topic of this mod position, I have no idea who this JimB person is myself. I'm relatively new too. If what he says is true, then my giggle fit was completely justified. If this JimB person is just shooting his mouth and isn't owner/admin affiliated, well, I still had a good giggle fit and you can't take that away from me!

This is just my thought, but mods are also held to a slightly higher standard than a user/member. I wouldn't want members of my team ragging on people because they have different opinions or are just having a bad day and explode on somebody randomly. There's respect that goes both ways. Mouthing off to rando's, while seemingly innocent, isn't always the best looking on a resume.

If I were to see somebody randomly yell at an elderly person because they're taking too long to cross the street, and said yeller is "in a big hurry" to get to an interview with me, chances are that little interaction is going to influence my decision. Especially if the position has a lot of client facing interaction.

Sorry, I went off on a tangent. I do that.

xsinx wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:27 pm
cmom wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:11 pmMods and admins do get compensated here though, that's why the OP wants in. There's literally a banner ad at the top of the page from one of the only thing/mom that they tried to take a moral stand on, look how that turned out.
I'd just like to point out that having been a mod until recently, none of the mods ever accepted any compensation/pay from MOMs or admins. I have been offered a coupon by an admin when they added the ads (for "my work on the forum"), but I refused it and stepped down from my mod position because it clashed with my moral principles and what I'm trying to do for this community. I don't want to be under any MOM's thumb and my allegiance has always been to members. I've even had a 150$ coupon from Cheapweed a while back that I refused, but asked CW if I could draw it on here which he accepted. One of the members won and used that coupon.

We did get a lot of free sample offers from newer MOMs, I have refused most of them. I did accept a few but with a clear understanding I would not be reviewing them and that they would get absolutely nothing from it in return. The few cases where I've done that, I was genuinely interested in some of their products and had intention of buying if the products were up to par. I haven't yet, but there's a few things I really liked and will order eventually.

Also, for what it's worth, no MOM ever tried bribe me, the samples I've been offered were generally also available for regular members. It's pretty common practice for newer MOMs to send the product out there so it gets talked about a bit.

DM me or hit me up on Discord if you have further questions. I don't think the admins will leave that topic going for long.
Just highlighting some valuable information in both of these quoted posts, in case Sin is right that this thread will soon vanish. In an ideal world, I think all ppl should know what is up, instead of just a few, but most of us are stuck here, with reality..

itsjustasalad wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:41 am Sounds like a pretty ugly situation; and no offense but a lot of silly young people who haven't quite matured yet. Had a lot of my own experiences with those things, but as a male. It makes me cringe to the point where I grind my teeth when I see and hear of some of the things our peers do to each other. This whole thing must have been years ago; I can't see any men having any issue with a woman being a lesbian in these days. Even 20 years ago, most boys/men I knew loved the idea of two women getting together. As Jim Morrison once said a few (hundred?) thousand times "people are strange".
You are correct. It was many years ago now back in the days when the option to bond on the internet included chat rooms, forums, or MMOs–before social media took over the board. Quite a lot of the site members were... very conservative (at the time I believed there was a possibility that potential future president Obama COULD be the antiChrist thanks to these being my friends) No one was out as queer on this site. I recognized that guys were into women flirting with each other so I made a point of it in RPG to do it a bit and try enhance my overall sex appeal... I was young enough I hadn't really thought "hey wait am I doing this because I want to flirt with her or flirt with the guys?" and to be honest they'd figured me out by gossiping about me, sure. I now ID as "pansexual", ei, "open to any intelligent lifeform." Just in case aliens show up... or intelligent androids with functional parts...

People are strange.

Anyway, all the times I got asked to mod/admin a site I didn't create from the ground up, I was a reliable old member who tended to pick up small tasks where they appeared. I was flattered, it was great experience pre-working-world which did get me jobs.

416Strains.ca wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:23 pm
xsinx wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:27 pm

Just highlighting some valuable information in both of these quoted posts, in case Sin is right that this thread will soon vanish. In an ideal world, I think all ppl should know what is up, instead of just a few, but most of us are stuck here, with reality..
That's not what he was referring to, not the OP. He was clearly implying that the admins here won't take kindly to people discussing how they are compensated by the moms they help promote.

Okay guys the reason why I started this post is just get a general sense of how members get to being an admin. I have a full time job and don’t need this for the compensation. It was a a gesture of good faith to pick up slack as a thanks for all the great advice I received from members like VDubb, xsinx, aimordie and many more. From what I’ve read the admins here associate themselves with people like JimB and comment on people’s sexuality. Thanks for the information everyone. I’m glad to just be a member. Feel free to close this post.

Raptorfan93 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:40 pm Okay guys the reason why I started this post is just get a general sense of how members get to being an admin. I have a full time job and don’t need this for the compensation. It was a a gesture of good faith to pick up slack as a thanks for all the great advice I received from members like VDubb, xsinx, aimordie and many more. From what I’ve read the admins here associate themselves with people like JimB and comment on people’s sexuality. Thanks for the information everyone. I’m glad to just be a member. Feel free to close this post.
I didn't really intend anything as a shot at you, it wasn't the point I was making and others ran with that instead of the the main point of the message I made as a reply to someone else.

To be totally fair, JimB asked at the beginning "Why do you want to be a mod? Maybe a reasonable explanation would be as good as a resume", he didn't take any shots at you there either.
You still never answered his first question, a very reasonable one to ask.

Keyll wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:47 pm I now ID as "pansexual", ei, "open to any intelligent lifeform." Just in case aliens show up... or intelligent androids with functional parts...
gave me some giggles there. Could that be why I struggle so hard to find "that/the one" myself? Certainly isn't an abundance of intelligent life form on this earth.

Joking aside, pansexual was a term I could never understand. Always saw this person on a local dating site and she advertised herself as "pansexual" but didn't really elaborate. They way she spoke of "collecting introverts" like treasures kind of scared me but she seemed nice enough. Just slightly, ever so slightly EXTREMELY extroverted. My ignorance is never ending! But that's ok!

Jobs/tasks like mod work can/does add to your skillset. Good to hear it helped propel yourself forward!

It's hard to imagine that the internet is still pretty young. It wasn't long ago, heck, it's been 20 years actually, since I picked up a book called something like "the kids guide to the internet". It was made in a way that was like the "dummies" books, but made for kids to learn about the internet. Had to read that book and do some "homework" type material before I was able to use the internet myself. Years later, bbs turns to other forums and reddit, youtube, etc etc etc, people find out they can do or say things without punishment and your anonymous.. oh man, i'm gonna rant. gotta stop it.

tl;dr the internet is still young, people are still ignorant, and change takes a while. Plus I learned something new today!

itsjustasalad wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:05 am gave me some giggles there. Could that be why I struggle so hard to find "that/the one" myself? Certainly isn't an abundance of intelligent life form on this earth.

Joking aside, pansexual was a term I could never understand. Always saw this person on a local dating site and she advertised herself as "pansexual" but didn't really elaborate. They way she spoke of "collecting introverts" like treasures kind of scared me but she seemed nice enough. Just slightly, ever so slightly EXTREMELY extroverted.
o.o No, please don't pin me up in your closet. (hides from the extrovert) That's alarming language to use for sure, like we're quiet dolls or something.

I view pansexual as a way to say "bisexual" while including people with gender identities other than "male/female" (the "bi" in "bisexual") and other human-level sentient species or creations which may enter our sphere of existence. Like you mention the internet being young, yes, it's wild to me how far it's come in the less than twenty years I've spent on it. I already feel very confident that I am DTF the aliens/robot overlords if they wanna, which is not a mindset shared by all of my friends who are like "but you don't know for sure they'll be Twi'lek ladies, what if they turn out to be Cthulhu" and well that's a risk I'm just going to have to take.

Aye, captain, maybe your soulmate hasn't landed yet. :D